How to make a low-maintenance garden
Do you want to spend more time enjoying your garden, and less time maintaining it? Well, it’s more simple than you think. By following a few easy tips, you can create a minimal maintenance garden that looks stunning all year round – and doesn’t drain your precious time.
So, without further ado, here are some key tips for a low-maintenance garden.
How to make a low-maintenance garden
- Artificial grass: What takes up time in a garden? Weeding, mowing and attending to soil health. Thankfully, with artificial grass, you can ditch all of these time-consuming tasks and enjoy a luscious lawn all year round without the upkeep. Easigrass is an RHS award-winning provider of artificial grass that looks ultra-realistic while also benefiting from technology that makes it very low maintenance. Simply put, it’s the perfect balance of a totally natural appearance with no mess, mud or mowing. There are even pet and child-friendly options available to help keep your garden safe and hygienic with very little effort.
- Choose plant-life wisely: Plants can either bring colour and theatre to a garden or gentle tranquility, depending on the palette you opt for. If you want to enjoy plant-life in your garden, but don’t want it to take up all your time, then you need to pick plants wisely. Limiting the variety of plants is the first tip, as this will reduce the number of jobs you will have to perform, and will decrease the amount of tailored care that specific plants may require. You may also want to purposefully choose low-maintenance plants or perennials which largely look after themselves without much outside influence.
- Incorporate more hard landscaping: Hard landscaping means anything that is inanimate – so gravel, stones, decking, bark chippings, etc. By weighting the proportion of hard to soft landscaping in favour of hard, you are well on your way to creating a more low-maintenance space. Of course, hard landscaping still needs a little maintenance, for example gravel will need raking and decking may need occasional cleaning, but it will be far less time-consuming than watering endless flower beds or mowing a lawn. Plus, hard landscaping areas give you that extra outdoor living space for relaxing, socialising and al fresco dining.
- Technology is your friend: In the 21st century, there are gadgets to help cut time and effort for every facet of modern living – so why not investigate how this can pair with gardening? Sprinklers are an obvious one, reducing your time spent with a watering can. There are also gardening apps that you can download to your phone to streamline your gardening tasks, allowing you to benefit from watering and harvesting reminders, along with weather updates. Having your finger on the pulse of this information can save you lots of time in the long run.
- Opt for shrubs and hedges: Easy to plant, easy to maintain – shrubs and hedges are a low-maintenance option for any garden that also brings a touch of class and elegance. They make for excellent bordering options and, depending on the species you choose, can also add a gentle pop of colour.
- Give yourself storage options: Tidying, cleaning and maintenance will be much easier if you have adequate garden storage space for your equipment. Quick access means no more hauling stuff down from the attic or across from the garage when it comes time for gardening. Sheds, summerhouses and other storage spaces are also a great place to store outdoor furniture to prevent it from deteriorating – making it much easier for you to keep it in great condition.
Want to create a low-maintenance garden? Easigrass Essex can help. Easigrass Essex also has a range of finance offers available, to help spread the cost of your new fake lawn. We’re the region’s leading provider of ultra-realistic artificial grass that looks and feels like the real thing. Thanks to no mess, no mud and now mowing, Easigrass products are a must-have for any minimal maintenance garden. Get in touch to learn more and arrange a free survey.